Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rhiann's first Recipe

Ok, ok, I finally made something. I got all my ingredients today while shopping in Kensington Market. This recipe was pretty good. Comforting like chicken soup, but in an Asian way. Very very easy to make. I made less because it was just me and the recipe makes 5 servings. I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow too.


  • 5 1/4 cup veg broth

  • 4 1/4 inch thick slices ginger, peeled

  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled

  • 2 tsp canola oil

  • 1 3/4 cups shiitake mushrooms

  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

  • 1 small bok choi cut into 1/2 inch pieces; stems and greens separated

  • 3 1/2 oz rice sticks (noodles)

  • 1 14oz package firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes

  • 1 cup grated carrots

  • 4-6 tsp rice vinegar

  • 2 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce

  • 1 tsp toasted sesame oil

  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions for garnish



  1. Combine broth, ginger and garlilc in a pot; bring to simmer. Simmer, partially covered, over med-low heat for 15 min. Discard the ginger and garlic.

  2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and crushed red pepper; cook stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 min. Add bok choi stems; cook stirring often, until tender, 3 to 4 min.

  3. Add the mushroom mixture to the broth. Add noodles, reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 3 min. Add bok choi greens and tofu; simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in carrots, vinegar to taste, soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve garnished with green onions.

I would make this again. There are lots of veggies, and its even a little spicy from the crushed red peppers. As you can see i didnt grate the carrot. It was one of those really yummy fresh carrots with the greens on the top and I thought it was too good to shred. Also, I think if I made it again I would mince the garlic and leave it in the soup. I also forgot the sesame oil, which I think would have been nice.

I've started now...be expecting more from me soon.

1 comment:

  1. OOOoooo Rhiann, getting all fancy with the pictures etc. Nice touch. i will have to see if i can start living up to this. I usually am so on top of eating what i made, there is not much time for a photo. Good Job though.

    Also, my mom and Brent and Age all want to be able to follow our blog, but can't. I have tried sending them invites etc but it hasn't worked. I think you may need to change our privacy settings and make it public.

    ReplyDelete